Week 2 Resources - Money, Class, and the Mission of God
International Mission Board (key information about missions and giving impact)
- *Solid list of options
- *A list of websites like this obviously comes with a major caveat that not every site will have the same quality of material or teaching; but the blog is helpful because it summarizes some of the options available (from an author who writes about money from a Christian perspective)
Well-Known Christian Programs about Finances
- Financial Peace (usually offered at Emmaus in the Spring semester on Wednesday nights)
- Crown Financial Resources
Week 2 Sermon Notes - Money, Class, and the Mission of God
Building Foundations, Not Fences
Week 2 // Money and and the Mission of God
1 Timothy 6:3-10, 17-19
- In our heart!
- In families, businesses, and politics
- Between rich and poor
- Within churches/mission groups
Building a Biblical Foundation for Finances
- Key Passages
- Genesis 1-12
- Law and Prophets
- Matthew 6; Mark 12; Luke 8
- Acts 2, 4; 2 Corinthians 8-9
- 1 Timothy 6
- Theological Principles
- Everything we have is from God, everything we have is for God.
- Stewardship extends beyond money to our use of time, talents, and creation.
- Sin leads to Division and Greed.
- Jesus taught faith-filled generosity and gave His life for us.
- Possessions are ultimately temporary, but they can bring joy, serve others, and extend the Gospel message
Living with a Biblical Foundation for Finances
- Be a Manager
- Humility - Life and Possessions are temporary
- Hard Work
- Start with what you have, not what you don't have.
- With Margin
- Biblical Wisdom
- Control, not being controlled or living with chaos
- Live open-handed, with flexibility
- On Mission
- Proclaim and Display Jesus
- Give & Go // Neighbors & Nations
- Pray: “What will I give?”
- Pray: “Where will I go?”
- **Prayer walk your neighborhood
- **Emmaus Missions Prayer Team
West Property at Emmaus
- Prioritize connections and evangelism
- Reach kids and families
- Value of outdoor space