Week 5 Resources - Marriage, Divorce, and Homosexuality
The Center for Faith, Sexuality, and Gender - https://www.centerforfaith.com/
- This center is guided largely by an author named Preston Sprinkle. He is a solid Christian man, but certainly not afraid to have hard conversations or learn from those different from him. His website has a ton of resources.
- One heads up - this ministry takes an approach very focused on maintaining the relationship with your child and erring toward love (while still holding to a traditional, solid understanding of the Bible's truth about sexuality).
- Parenting Resources - https://ondemand.centerforfaith.com/courses/parenting-lgbtq-kids
- Resource for teens - https://christian-sexuality.com/
Trust the Circle: Understanding God's Design for Sex, Gender, and Sexuality, by Ryan Smith
- This website and book are primarily based on the ministry of Oklahoma pastor, Ryan Smith. The resources lean a little more "traditional" than do the ones from the Center for Faith, Sexuality, and Gender above; but both ministries provide very helpful content.
- Trust the Circle helpfully summarizes a Christian approach to sexuality and gender.
Sexuality and the Gospel - Jackie Hill Perry with Preston Sprinkle on the Theology in the Raw podcast - https://theologyintheraw.com/podcast/1011-sexuality-and-the-gospel-jackie-hill-perry/
- This podcast is a great starting point for those who prefer to listen, rather than read.
- Jackie summarizes many points from her book below, and she has a very authentic conversation with Preston about how God has worked in her life. They discuss some difficult topics; and even if you disagree with a few of their conclusions, the conversation overall is solid.
Is God anti-gay? (Questions Christians Ask), by Sam Allberry
7 Myths about Singleness, by Sam Allberry
Gay Girl, Good God: The Story of Who I Was, and Who God Has Always Been, by Jackie Hill Perry
Messy Grace: How a Pastor with Gay Parents Learned to Love Others without Sacrificing Conviction, by Caleb Kaltenbach
The Case against the Sexual Revolution, by Louise Perry
3 Myths about Marriage that Americans Still Believe - https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/3-myths-about-marriage-americans-still-believe/
Collection of Articles about Divorce and Remarriage - https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/course/marriage-divorce-remarriage/#remarriage
- This collection of articles and resources is helpful because several different views are presented on the subject of remarriage after divorce.
- Before you read the articles, be sure to pay attention to which viewpoint is being presented and defended.
- The articles at the bottom of the page mention a sermon from Michael P. Andrus. That article is broken, but the sermon PDF is available at https://www.firstfreewichita.org/download/328.
The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God, by Timothy Keller
Week 5 Sermon Notes - Marriage, Divorce, and Homosexuality
Fences? No. Boundaries? Yes.
- Marriage has design and boundaries.
- Tension = where to draw the boundaries.
- Slogans in Culture; Widespread acceptance of homosexuality and the sexual revolution
- Hypocrisy in the church (related to divorce, pornography, lust, adultery) is a real problem.
Biblical Foundation for Marriage
- Genesis 1:26-27
- Genesis 2:18, 24-25
- Genesis 3:6
- Marriage in the Old Testament
- Procreation (Genesis, onward)
- Pleasure (Song of Solomon)
- Picture of God’s love for Israel
- Brokenness of adultery, divorce, multiple marriages
- Marriage in the New Testament
- Key people not married (Jesus!!)
- Picture of Christ and His Church
- Church had to address sexual sin
- Marriage is a Key Theme in the final pages of Revelation
- Marriage Across the Bible
- Commanded in Genesis
- Expected in OT
- Permitted (Encouraged) in NT
- Fulfilled in New Creation – “no longer given in marriage” (Matt. 22:30)
Divorce and Remarriage in Mark 10
- Background of Deuteronomy 24:1-4
- Divorce is a Concession, not a Demand
- Context of Mark 10
- John the Baptist confronting divorce of Herod Antipas
- Differing views of School of Shammai and School of Hillel
- Jesus focused on God’s Design and Gospel
- Permission for Divorce? (Matthew 19; 1 Corinthians 7)
*Reconciliation / Repentance = goals.
*Requires spiritual wisdom and faith.
Affirm and Strengthen Marriage
- How we speak about marriage matters! (starts from a young age)
- Reach out quickly for support
- Invest in your marriage and others
- Remember meaning / purposes
Mourn and Heal from Divorce
- “Mingle the call to obedience with the tears of compassion.” - Storms
- Recover / Heal (Gospel; church)
- Pursue remarriage cautiously, with personal study and conscience
What about Homosexuality?
- “Jesus never said anything about homosexuality.”
- He reaffirmed God’s design for marriage AND singleness.
- He fulfilled the Law of God.
- “Love is love.”
- Love isn’t only sexual or marital.
- Same-sex love IS a good thing.
- ‘For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments.’ - 1 John 3:5
- “The church was wrong about slavery and civil rights as well.”
- Both Scripture and science portray these issues differently.
- *The Secular Creed - Rebecca McLaughlin
Homosexuality and the Gospel
- Homosexuality is set alongside other sins in Scripture.
- Romans 1:18-32
- 1 Timothy 1:8-17
- 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
- Value people; disagree w/ decisions
- Ask questions; listen; learn
- Affirm marriage AND singleness
- Proclaim and Display Jesus
- For Forgiveness of Sexual Sin
- For Healing after Divorce
- For Hope in Marriage
- For Strength in Singleness
- For Wisdom in Conversations
- For Salvation